Who would have thought it? Our neighbors here on the Hill dump their old mattresses, tables, chairs, paper bags full of books and plastic pans on the corner. Here are some pictures:
This illegal dumping trashes our neighborhood. We all know what happens in neighborhoods that look neglected.
What can we do about it?
If you see someone dumping, tell them to stop and tell them how and where they can get rid of anything they don’t want.
- There are two Goodwill depots close by: corner of Bay and Buchanan and on Geary between Larkin and Hyde.
- SEE GOODWILL’S WEBSITE https://sfgoodwill.org/donate/donate-goods/
- Out of the Closet is on the corner of Polk and California
- Recology offers two free curbside pickups of big bulky stuff two times a year to all its residential customers. Plus, each unit within an apartment building is entitled to one free collection a year. Tenants can call directly to schedule a collection. The Recology site gives the details: https://www.bulkyitemrecycling.com/curbsideCollection.htm
If you don’t see the person doing the dumping, what can you do?
- Report the dumped items to SF311 via their smart phone app. Very easy to use. You send them a photo from your phone. The location is picked up automatically. In my experience, they pick up in at least eight hours, many times sooner.
- Request No Dumping signs by calling 311. Post them at the most dumped on corners. This is what they look like, big, bold and threatening.
Leave a Reply