Dear Members, Merchants and Friends,
You will soon be receiving a membership renewal letter from RHN. We are deeply appreciative of the many Russian Hill residents who support our mission to be “a voice for residents and merchants to preserve and advance neighborhood character and quality of life through collaboration, volunteerism, and celebration of community.” We look forward to another year working together with each of you to enhance our wonderful neighborhood!
Your membership renewal also provides an opportunity to let us know your interest in volunteering for a committee, as well as to make an additional tax-deductible donation to the General Fund or to a specific project such as Parks or Historic Preservation. And, if you have a neighbor or friend who is not yet a RHN member, please encourage them to join!
A recent highlight of the past month was the Safety Summit on November 8. A standing-room-only crowd shared their concerns with our local Northern and Central police captains and assistant district attorneys assigned to their stations. Some of what we learned includes:
- value of private video cameras in providing evidence to police investigators
- importance of filing a police report on every crime you experience or witness
- critical need for police resources to increase to meet the growing SF population
- benefit of residents’ efforts to take charge of their own safety by communicating with each other, watching out for each other and forming Neighborhood Watch Groups
- specifics of increased efforts by police and district attorneys to proactively investigate and prosecute repeat offenders
- need for public support of available technologies, such as security camera systems, which have been opposed in the past in SF but are working in other cities around the world.
A follow-up “Report Card” Summit is scheduled for February 21, 2018 by RHN so that we can monitor the progress of such efforts. Thank you to all who attended and communicated your concerns. We need to work with each other and with our law enforcement professionals to ensure a safe neighborhood.
Many thanks to the Polk Street Merchants for sponsoring with RHN the second annual Polk Street Trick or Treat and pumpkin carving for kids on October 28. Our local merchants are a vital part of our neighborhood. Be sure to shop locally on a regular basis, and show your appreciation by supporting Small Business Saturday on November 25th!
We look forward to seeing you at the December 3rd RHN Annual Member Holiday Party. An invitation will arrive in your Inbox soon!
RHN Executive Committee