Dear Members, Merchants & Friends,
Cleaning up our sidewalks and streets has become a major quality of life issue in recent years in the City as a whole and Russian Hill in particular.
Last year, RHN conducted an online survey of its members to gauge interest in establishing mechanical street sweeping in our neighborhood. Although some 70% of respondees favored the idea, we have discovered that implementing this program is complex and could have (at least perceived) unintended consequences for some RH residents.
Since then, we have learned that it is possible for specific blocks or streets to petition for mechanical street cleaning. If 2/3 of the residents in an area agree in writing and complete the petition and it’s process, while there is no guarantee, it is the way to solicit regular street cleaning. If your block or street is interested, here is a link to the petition form and directions. For questions and to support your efforts, feel free to contact either RHN President or RHN Neighborhood Enhancement.
Here are some other ways you as an individual can help:
1) use the 311 “early and often” when you encounter filth or garbage on the sidewalk and streets.
2) sweep the sidewalk in front of your residence regularly or request that your landlord arrange for it.
3) support efforts such as Rubbish Revolution https://www.rubbish.love/
4) compliment a local merchant who regularly maintains a clean sidewalk or street in front of its business.
5) join one of RHN’s street sweeps, next one scheduled for Saturday, March 16th
Let’s work together to keep Russian Hill’s sidewalks and streets clean and attractive!!
Carol Ann Rogers